Ahmadiyyas concerned at bigots’ seizure plan on December 23
Leaders of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Jamaat, Bangladesh yesterday urged the government to take prior security measures and stop in advance the zealots who are preparing for laying siege to Ahmadiyya base at Bakshibazar in Dhaka on December 23 to force the government to declare Ahmadiyyas non-Muslim.
Expressing grave concern over the fanatics’ programme, Prof Meer Mobashwer Ali, acting amir of Ahmadiyya Jamaat said, “Our bitter experiences say that such gherao programmes are ploy of launching attacks on Ahmadiyya members, mosques and homesteads.”
“We wonder how the fanatics are allowed to hold such a programme that may create communal anarchy during a time when the government is conducting operations against extremist bombers and terrorists across the country,” Prof Ali said while reading out a written speech at a press conference at the Ahmadiyya headquarters yesterday.
Expressing disappointment over the fact that no one responsible for attacking the Ahmadiyyas have been brought to book so far, the acting Ahmadiyya amir said, “Scot-free, they are rather announcing fresh programmes to siege Ahmadiyya mosque.”
Referring to the recent Khulna incident where “a group of people in cloak” hung a fanatics’ signboard on an Ahmadiyya mosque in the presence of police, he said the government’s “subservient policy” has turned their lives unbearable.
Ahmadiyya leaders reiterated their demand for removal of the fanatics’ signboards from Ahmadiyya mosques in Bogra and Khulna, reinstating of four Ahmadiyya mosques in Brahmanbaria that are now under the capture of anti-Ahmadiyya zealots, and punishment for killing and attack of Ahmadiyya members.
The December 23 siege programme is the last of a one-year agitation programme declared by the zealots.
Ahmadiyya leaders Abdul Awal and Kawsar Ali Mollah were also present at the press conference.