Recommend UsEmail this PageeGazetteAlislam.org
Prosecutors Ask for 5-7 Months for Defendants in Cikeusik Ahmadi Attack
Jakarta Globe | July 7, 2011
In February, 2011, a mob of about a thousand attacked a house that sheltered 25 Ahmadiyyah members; killing three and severally injuring five in Cikeusik.
Prosecutors entered relatively light sentencing demands on Thursday for 10 participants believed to have roles in the deadly mob attack on a group of Ahmadiyah sect members in Cikeusik, Banten, earlier this year.
The defendants, charged with crimes ranging from provoking violence to assault, received sentence demands in the five to seven-month range — far below the maximum of six years for the lesser charge of provocation.
Prosecutors said the sentencing requests were fairly light because they believed that the group of 25 Ahmadis had played a part in provoking the attack.
The attack, which was filmed and posted on YouTube, saw a mob of about a thousand attacking a house that sheltered 25 members of the minority Islamic sect. Three Ahmadis were killed and five were seriously injured in the violence.
Prosecutor M. Yunis said the sentencing demands were lighter due to evidence that showed that members of the banned sect were systematically provoking riots.
Two other defendants, both under 17-years-old, were still awaiting sentencing demands.